What is the flight cancellation policy of United Airlines?
Booked a flight with United Airlines and wish to cancel it? To cancel a United flight, dial 1-800-864-8331 and make a cancellation request online. The agent on the call will first explain the United Airlines cancellation refund policy to you. After that, you can cancel your flights for a full or partial refund.
Let’s find out more about United Ailrines flight cancellation service and other processes later on.
United Airlines flight cancellation
As per a basic rule under the United Airlines flight cancellation policy, you can cancel your flight for a full refund within 24 hours of the booking time for free. This stands true regardless of your fare type; however, your departure must be at least after seven days after the booking time.
Suppose your flight is suddenly canceled by the airline. In that case, you can;
- Cancel the flight without a charge and request a ticket refund
- Take an alternate flight by the carrier for the same day
- Postpone your air travel plans and get credits
- The airline can entitle you to compensation benefits for flight cancellation
Note: These fall under the United Airline canceled flight policy, which means, you’ll only get such benefits if the airline cancels your tickets.
What is United Airlines Cancellation Policy?
You already know how the flexible cancellation policy works for United customers. However, this is not the only perk when making ticket cancellations. Hence, under the cancellation policy United Airlines has many other rules which make it easier for you to cancel your itinerary plans.
COVID Cancellation Policy
- Suppose your United Airlines booking is impacted due to COVID-19. In that case, as per the severity of the description in the schedule, the airline will offer you a refund.
- For those who haven’t canceled their trips just yet, they can first go to the United Airlines My trips tab and cancel the booking to make requests.
- Based on the type of your ticket and the disruption level, the airline may offer you a future travel credit or refund to your original form of payment.
- The airline processes your refunds within seven business days; however, the timings for international locations may vary.
Cancellation Rules for Basic Economy tickets
As per the United Airlines cancel policy for flights; you can not receive a refund on canceling basic economy flights until and unless done within a 24-hour risk-free period. In other words, for any tickets canceled within 24 hours of the booking for travel more than seven days after the ticket purchase, the cancellation is free.
Non-refundable ticket Cancellation
- If you cancel your non-refundable flights more than 24 hours after you bought them, there is a cancellation charge.
- You need to pay a United Airlines cancellation fee of around 200 USD on domestic flights, and for international, it is up to 400 USD.
- The fee varies depending on your ticket and travel class.
- United airlines apply the unused ticket value to your future travel after deduction in case;
- You canceled the flight ticket before the departure.
- The trip is within one year of the original ticket issue date.
- There is a refund on the non-refundable tickets only when
- A co-passenger dies
- Military/jury duty passenger
Moreover, as per the United Airlines cancellation refund policy, a passenger must provide the supporting documents to validate the reason for ticket cancellation.
- Those with refundable tickets can cancel tickets at any time before the flight departure.
- The United Airlines cancellation policy guarantees them a refund of their original payment form.
- Moreover, if you made payments via credit cards, you would typically get a refund within seven business days.
- For other forms of payments, the airline takes as much as 20 days to do the task.
Award Tickets Cancellation
The Passengers may or may not have to pay a United Airlines Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets in the following cases
United Airlines Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets
|Time of Cancelling tickets||General USD||Premier (Silver) USD||(Gold)Premier USD||Premier (Platinum) USD||Premier (1K) USD|
|31 days prior or more from your flight’s departure||0||NA||0||NA||NA|
|0–30 days prior to the USA flight’s departure||125||100||75||50||NA|
|international flight out of USA 0–30 days prior to the departure||125||100||75||50||NA|
To know more about the policy dial United Airlines cancellation policy customer service phone number and get in touch with an airline executive.
How do I cancel my United flight?
After taking in the details of the United Airlines ticket cancellation policy, the next step is to begin the flight cancellation process. But how do you cancel your flight ticket? Let’s find out in detail.
Follow these steps below to cancel your United Airlines booking easily:
- To cancel your flights with United Airlines, dial United Airlines phone number 1-800-864-8331 or go to the official website.
- United Airlines cancellation service is also available through the airline’s mobile app.
- Then, open the My Trips section and provide the ticket reservation number and your last name.
- Now, choose the “Cancel Flight” option.
- Then, follow the instructions on the scream to successfully cancel your flight tickets.
- Next, Confirm the cancellation fee charges and continue.
- After that, you will receive a ticket cancellation confirmation from your registered contact.
- Check for the refund option to see whether your ticket is eligible for a refund or not.
How to avoid ticket cancellation fees on United Airlines?
Do you not wish to spend a fortune just for ticket cancellation? Do you fear the loss of the whole booking amount on United Airlines? Well, as per the Unite Airlines cancellation policy, there’s a way to avoid that.
If you follow a few simple key points, you can get rid of all the ticket cancellation fees and charges with ease. Here are the details:
- Use the 24-hour risk-free cancellation period if your ticket has been booked at least seven days before the departure. This way, you can cancel flights without any penalties. The airline even sends you the refund to your original payment form.
Note: This does not apply to your group tickets or tickets with the e-certificate bookings.
- For passengers who are experiencing a flight delay of more than 6 hours, they can be eligible to claim a refund as travel credit. The passengers can ask for a refund to the original payment form in case they do not use this credit for the whole year.
- Consequently, when a flight gets canceled due to low demand, environmental hazards, weather warnings, etc., the passengers qualify for the full ticket amount refund.
- Furthermore. If you cancel in case of an emergency, like the death of a co-passenger., or are a military or jury duty officer on duty, there will be a full refund.
What is Delta Airlines cancellation policy refund?
As per the United Airlines Cancellation policy refund for 24 hours risk-free period, you will receive a full ticket refund if both conditions apply:
- You are canceling tickets within 24 hours of the booking time.
- The flight departure is not within the next seven days after booking.
Moreover, the United Airlines refund policy states that:
- For tickets purchased at least a week prior to the departure, there won’t be any cancellation fee if canceled within one day of the booking.
- The Basic economy flights refund is not possible after the 24-hour booking window closes. You will not get your amount back once you are past the 24 hours time.
- You can cancel all the eligible tickets over the phone or online using the My Trips section. The ticket cancelation fee will depend on your fare type and rules,
- Non-refundable fares may not be refunded voluntarily, but you can convert the value of the ticket into points for future flights for a fee.
- Tickets are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. However, tickets purchased by or prior to December 31, 2021, have been extended to December 31, 2022. As a result, your journey must begin by December 31, 2022, and you should complete it within 12 months of the date of your outbound journey.
- The amount of the refund depends on several factors. Refunds for partially used tickets will be prorated depending on the ticket and the rules of the flight segment. Surcharges and fees applicable to the ticket will only be refunded if permitted by the rules.
- Refunds for credit card purchases generally take 7 business days for your request to be processed. However, Other refunds can take up to 20 business days after making your request.
- All refunds will be credited to the original payment method.
Regional Refund Policies
All other tickets except for refundable fares will not be refundable at all.
As per the right of withdrawal, there is permission for the passengers to cancel their ticket up to 24 hours prior to the flight’s departure. However, United will refund 90 percent of the fare and keep the 10% to itself.
Also, the right of retraction says that when you purchase the flights directly from United Airlines, you get to cancel the flights within 48 hours of purchase. You can also make the refund request at least 15 days before the flight’s scheduled departure.
Suppose you haven’t flown yet and your ticket is not useful anymore, you should submit a refund request form to the airline & get the reimbursement of fees and taxes. The dues will be transferred to you within 30 days of the request without any fee to your email address.
The seven days refund facility does not apply here although it is under Taiwan’s consumer protection Act.
First, make sure of your travel plans and then book the United flights. However, if you are not sure about that and you still book, there can be consequences. In those consequences, you cancel your flight tickets. The airline offers you compensation in case of special reasons. However, for the rest, comply with the United Airlines cancellation policy and then make cancellations. To know more, call the airline experts through the given phone numbers and get instant solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cancellation policy for United Airlines?
As per the United Airlines cancellation policy, to cancel the flight for free, passengers have a 24-hour risk-free period. If their corresponding flight is not departing within the next seven days, they can cancel their ticket for free within 24 hours of the booking time. Moreover, the airline promises to refund the full ticket amount to the passengers in that case.
Can I cancel my United flight without penalty?
Yes, you can! United Airlines offers them a simple option to cancel their original booking within 24 hours of the booking without a penalty. Otherwise, the customer should have a refundable ticket on flights operated by United or any partner airline offering the same benefits.
Can I get my money back if I cancel my flight?
For instance, Getting your money back after ticket cancellation depends on several factors. If you have a refundable ticket, you get the entire booking amount back. However, for those who have non-refundable tickets, the airline first deducts a cancellation fee. Award tickets have different cancellation charges for different levels. So, whether you may get your money back or not will depend on your ticket type, time of cancellation, your route, etc.
What is a good reason to cancel a flight?
There is no such thing as a good reason to cancel flight tickets. Each passenger can cancel their flight for a different reason. However, if we consider the refund options, the only case, a non-refundable ticket is refunded with money when there is a death of a co-passenger. Or, the traveling passenger is an on-duty military or jury officer in the USA.