Are you looking to cancel your ticket with United Airlines? If an emergency has hindered your travel plans, fret not. You can look up United Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy & refund to cancel a ticket and get a refund from the airline.
To ensure your ticket value does not go to waste on cancellation due to voluntary or involuntary reasons, know the airline’s cancellation & refund policy in detail. Let’s find out more about United Airlines flight cancellation service and other processes later on.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
As per a basic rule under the United Airlines flight cancellation policy, you can cancel your flight for a full refund within 24 hours of the booking time for free. This stands true regardless of your fare type; however, your departure must be at least after seven days after the booking time.
Suppose your flight is suddenly canceled by the airline. In that case, you can;
- Cancel the flight without a charge and request a ticket refund
- Take an alternate flight by the carrier for the same day
- Postpone your air travel plans and get credits
- The airline can entitle you to compensation benefits for flight cancellation
Note:- These fall under the United Airline canceled flight policy, which means, you’ll only get such benefits if the airline cancels your tickets.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy due to COVID-19
You already know how the flexible cancellation policy works for United customers. However, this is not the only perk when making ticket cancellations. Hence, under the cancellation policy United Airlines has many other rules which make it easier for you to cancel your itinerary plans.
- Suppose your United Airlines booking is impacted due to COVID-19. In that case, as per the severity of the description in the schedule, the airline will offer you a refund.
- For those who haven’t canceled their trips just yet, they can first go to the United Airlines My trips tab and cancel the booking to make requests.
- Based on the type of your ticket and the disruption level, the airline may offer you a future travel credit or refund to your original form of payment.
- The airline processes your refunds within seven business days; however, the timings for international locations may vary.
Rules for United Cancellation Basic Economy Tickets
As per the United Airlines cancel policy for flights; you can not receive a refund on canceling basic economy flights until and unless done within a 24-hour risk-free period. In other words, for any tickets canceled within 24 hours of the booking for travel more than seven days after the ticket purchase, the cancellation is free.
Non-Refundable Ticket United Cancellation Policy
- If you cancel your non-refundable flights more than 24 hours after you bought them, there is a cancellation charge.
- You need to pay a United Airlines cancellation fee of around 200 USD on domestic flights, and for international, it is up to 400 USD.
- The fee varies depending on your ticket and travel class.
- United airlines apply the unused ticket value to your future travel after deduction in case;
- You canceled the flight ticket before the departure.
- The trip is within one year of the original ticket issue date.
- There is a refund on the non-refundable tickets only when
- A co-passenger dies
- Military/jury duty passenger
Moreover, as per the United Airlines cancellation refund policy, a passenger must provide the supporting documents to validate the reason for ticket cancellation.
United Airlines Refundable Tickets
- Those with refundable tickets can cancel tickets at any time before the flight departure.
- The United Airlines cancellation policy guarantees them a refund of their original payment form.
- Moreover, if you made payments via credit cards, you would typically get a refund within seven business days.
- For other forms of payments, the airline takes as much as 20 days to do the task.
Award Tickets United Cancellation Policy
The Passengers may or may not have to pay a United Airlines Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets in the following cases.
United Airlines Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets
|Time of Cancelling tickets||General USD||Premier (Silver) USD||(Gold)Premier USD||Premier (Platinum) USD||Premier (1K) USD|
|31 days prior or more from your flight’s departure||0||NA||0||NA||NA|
|0–30 days prior to the USA flight’s departure||125||100||75||50||NA|
|international flight out of USA 0–30 days prior to the departure||125||100||75||50||NA|
To know more about the policy dial United Airlines cancellation policy customer service phone number and get in touch with an airline executive.
How do I Cancel my United Flight?
After taking in the details of the United Airlines ticket cancellation policy, the next step is to begin the flight cancellation process. But how do you cancel your flight ticket? Let’s find out in detail.
Follow Steps to Cancel Your United Airlines Booking Easily:-
- To cancel your flights with United Airlines, dial United Airlines phone number 1-800-864-8331 or go to the official website.
- United Airlines’ cancellation service is also available through the airline’s mobile app.
- Then, open the My Trips section and provide the ticket reservation number and your last name.
- Now, choose the “Cancel Flight” option.
- Then, follow the instructions on the scream to successfully cancel your flight tickets.
- Next, Confirm the cancellation fee charges and continue.
- After that, you will receive a ticket cancellation confirmation from your registered contact.
- Check for the refund option to see whether your ticket is eligible for a refund or not.
How to Avoid Ticket Cancellation Fees on United Airlines?
Do you not wish to spend a fortune just for ticket cancellation? Do you fear the loss of the whole booking amount on United Airlines? Well, as per the Unite Airlines cancellation policy, there’s a way to avoid that.
If you follow a few simple key points, you can get rid of all the ticket cancellation fees and charges with ease. Here are the details:
- Use the 24-hour risk-free cancellation period if your ticket has been booked at least seven days before the departure. This way, you can cancel flights without any penalties. The airline even sends you the refund to your original payment form.
Note:- This does not apply to your group tickets or tickets with the e-certificate bookings.
- For passengers who are experiencing a flight delay of more than 6 hours, they can be eligible to claim a refund as travel credit.
- The passengers can ask for a refund to the original payment form in case they do not use this credit for the whole year.
- Consequently, when a flight gets canceled due to low demand, environmental hazards, weather warnings, etc., the passengers qualify for the full ticket amount refund.
- Furthermore. If you cancel in case of an emergency, like the death of a co-passenger., or are a military or jury duty officer on duty, there will be a full refund.
Does United Airlines Give Fully Refund?
As per the United Airlines Cancellation policy refund for 24 hours risk-free period; you will receive a full ticket refund if both conditions apply:
- In Case of 24 Hours fully refundable policy of United Airlines , You are canceling tickets within 24 hours of the booking time.
- The flight departure is not within the next seven days after booking.
United Airlines Refund Policy
When a passenger cancels his flight, the main concern is to make sure that the value of his booking is retained to travel in the future. That’s why United passengers fill out the refund form after cancellations. You can also fill out the refund form if you have already canceled your flight. But before that, you need to know the United Airlines refund policy in detail. This section will provide complete details on the airline’s refund option.
Read the key points below and you will learn whether you can request a refund from United Airlines or not:
- As per the United Airlines 24 hours cancellation, you can get a full refund on your tickets on cancellation within the first 24 hours of booking.
- The only requirement is that your purchase must be at least a week before the flight’s scheduled departure.
- You can not request a refund for United Airlines basic economy tickets after the 24-hour golden period for cancellations.
- Different regions for your billing address mean different policies for the United Airlines refund.
- You can review the United airlines country wise refund policy on the official website.
- Most United airlines fares are non-refundable, and you can not get voluntary refunds after the given eligibility period.
- Your ticket value can, however, apply to the new ticket for a certain charge up until 12 months from the date of issue.
Note:- Tickets purchased on or before 31 Dec 2022 have an extended usage validity until 31 December 2023. The ticket holders must begin their travel by December 31, 2023, and complete within 12 months of this date.
- If you have united airlines refundable tickets, it means you are eligible for a complete refund on your flights with no penalty unless stated otherwise.
- Your refund amount will vary as per several factors. Refunds for partially used tickets will be prorated depending on the ticket and the rules of the flight segment.
- Surcharges and fees applicable to the ticket will only be refunded if permitted by the rules.
- Refunds for credit card purchases generally take seven business days for your request to be processed.
- However, Other refunds can take up to 20 business days after making your request.
- Your refund is in the form of the original payment as long as you are under the eligibility criteria for united airlines refundable as well as non-refundable tickets.
How to Request a Refund from United Airlines?
If you want to request a refund on a United Airlines cancellation, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the official website and enter the United Airlines refund policy section.
- Here you will find a link to fill out the refund form.
- Click on the link, and the prompt will take you to log in. you can continue as a guest or log in to your Mileage account.
- After that, provide the requested details about you in the correct fields.
- Next, you need to add your trip to the form.
- Also, provide some additional comments and refund request reference attachments in the next option.
- Finally, submit the form and wait for the email response from the United Airlines refund department.
Regional Refund United Airlines Policies
All other tickets except for refundable fares will not be refundable at all.
As per the right of withdrawal, there is permission for the passengers to cancel their ticket up to 24 hours prior to the flight’s departure. However, United will refund 90 percent of the fare and keep the 10% to itself.
Also, the right of retraction says that when you purchase the flights directly from United Airlines, you get to cancel the flights within 48 hours of purchase. You can also make the refund request at least 15 days before the flight’s scheduled departure.
Suppose you haven’t flown yet and your ticket is not useful anymore, you should submit a refund request form to the airline & get the reimbursement of fees and taxes. The dues will be transferred to you within 30 days of the request without any fee to your email address.
The seven days refund facility does not apply here although it is under Taiwan’s consumer protection Act.
First, make sure of your travel plans and then book the United flights. However, if you are not sure about that and you still book, there can be consequences. In those consequences, you cancel your flight tickets. The airline offers you compensation in case of special reasons.
However, for the rest, comply with the United Airlines cancellation policy and then make cancellations. To know more, call the airline experts through the given phone numbers and get instant solutions.
People also ask Frequently questions:-
Q. What is the United Basic Economy cancellation policy?
You are able to cancel a Basic Economy ticket on United Airlines within 24 hours of booking. However, you need to book your tickets at least seven days before the departure to qualify for this.
Q. How can I cancel my United Airlines flight?
Passengers can make United Airlines flight cancellations using two methods, online or by calling. Additionally, if you purchased your flight tickets directly from United Airlines, then you can cancel your flight using calling or online through “Manage My Trip” on the homepage. Besides, if you buy your tickets from a travel agent, you only have to contact them to make your United flight.
Q- What is the Cancellation Policy for United Airlines?
As per the United Airlines cancellation policy, to cancel the flight for free, passengers have a 24-hour risk-free period. If their corresponding flight is not departing within the next seven days, they can cancel their ticket for free within 24 hours of the booking time. Moreover, the airline promises to refund the full ticket amount to the passengers in that case.
Q- Can I Cancel my United Flight without Penalty?
Yes, you can! United Airlines offers them a simple option to cancel their original booking within 24 hours of the booking without a penalty. Otherwise, the customer should have a refundable ticket on flights operated by United or any partner airline offering the same benefits.
Q- What is a Good Reason to Cancel a Flight?
There is no such thing as a good reason to cancel flight tickets. Each passenger can cancel their flight for a different reason. However, if we consider the refund options, the only case, a non-refundable ticket is refunded with money when there is a death of a co-passenger. Or, the traveling passenger is an on-duty military or jury officer in the USA.
Q. Can I cancel my United Airlines Flight?
Yes, you are able to cancel your flight in some specified situations as per the Unite airlines flight cancellation policy. Besides, if you have bought a refundable flight ticket, you are able to cancel your flight before your flight’s departure. However, the basic Economy fare cannot be cancelled after a 24-hour window.
Further, if you have purchased non-refundable flight tickets, you must pay $200 as cancellation fees for a domestic flight ticket and $400 for international routes. Additionally, the charges depend on the flight fare and your route. Once you cancel your flight tickets, you will get the balance fare in the form of credit vouchers that can be used for future travel on United Airlines.
Q. Is United Airlines cancelling flights?
United Airlines has recently cancelled flights to the 11 U.S due to COVID as the following:
- Watertown, South Dakota.
- Twin Falls, Idaho.
- Pierre, South Dakota.
- Mosinee, Wisconsin.
- Monroe, Louisiana.
- Lansing, Michigan.
- Killeen–Fort Hood, Texas.
- Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Michigan.
- Evansville, Indiana.
- Columbia, Missouri.
- College Station, Texas.
Q. Does United allow cancellation?
Yes, United Airlines permits you to cancel every fare ticket except Basic Economy. However, Basic Economy tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours of the flights departing a week later.
Q. Can I get my money back if I cancel my flight?
If you purchased your flight tickets seven days before departure and cancelled the tickets, then you are able to get a full refund even if you have purchased a Basic Economy ticket. Similarly, you can also cancel your tickets and get a refund if:
- Your flight is cancelled.
- Your flight flying out of Iceland, Norway, or Switzerland is delayed by five hours.
- The airline delayed the flight for three hours, and the cause of the delay was not under control.
- You are suffering from any health issues, or suddenly called for jury duty, etc.
Q. Can I cancel my United Airlines flight within 24 hours?
Yes, passengers can cancel their tickets 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase without paying any cancellation fee. Besides, they must purchase their tickets at least one week before departure. Moreover, this rule applies to all types of tickets, even for non-refundable fares.
Q. What will happen if I cancel non-refundable tickets on United Airlines?
However, it will depend on your route and fare type. If a passenger cancels a non-refundable flight ticket, then they have to pay $200 for cancelling a domestic flight and up to $400 if they cancel an International flight. In addition, the balance amount will be given to you in the form of travel vouchers on United.
Q. What is the validity of United Airlines eCredits?
The eCredit vouchers of United Airlines expire one year from the issuing date of it.
Q. Will United airlines waive my cancellation fees?
United may receive your cancellation fees if you suffer from sudden death, are ill, or suddenly get military duty orders. However, the airline will ask to show some valid proof. On the other hand, if you believe that you have a good reason behind cancelling fees waived, then you can ask.
Q. What is the United Airlines cancellation fee for an Award ticket?
If you cancel a United award ticket up to 31 days before the departure, you will not have to pay any cancellation fee to the airline. Moreover, if you cancel a U.S. or international flight that is not originating in the U.S. within 30 days of departure. Then, you will have to pay a United Airlines cancellation fee of $125 when you are a general member. Besides, you need to pay $100 if you are a Silver member, $75 if you are a Gold member, $50 if you are a Platinum member, and $0 when you are a 1k member.
Q. What if United Airlines cancels my flight?
If United Airlines cancels your flight, you can get an alternate flight, or you can claim a full refund from the airline if the alternative option does not suit your travel plans.
Q. What is the United Airlines cancellation fee?
In addition, it depends on the fare and route. United Airlines’ cancellation fee for non-refundable flight tickets is $200 for domestic routes and $400 for international routes. Further, the cancellation charge for the award tickets is $75 for general members when cancelled at least 61 days prior to the departure. Moreover, The charges payable for Silver members are $50, $25 for Gold members, zero for Platinum, and 1K members.
Therefore, the cancellation fees for award tickets cancelled within 60 days of departure are $125 for general members, $100 for Silver members, 475 for Gold members, $50 for Platinum members, and $0 for 1K members.
Q. Can I get a credit if I cancel my United Airlines flight?
Yes, when you cancel a non-refundable flight ticket on United Airlines, you will get an eCredit voucher valid for one year from the date of issuance. Also, you can claim a full refund. However, if the airline cancels your flight and you cannot rebook on a flight that will get you to your desired destination within six hours of the original arrival time.
Q. How can I use United Airlines credit for a cancelled flight?
If you want to use your United Airlines credit voucher from a cancelled flight, you need to have your certificate details. Besides, you will get this information in your mail when the certificate is issued to you. Alternatively, you can use this page to access this information by providing the 10-digit pin, year of issue, last name, etc. Then, you will have your details, and you can easily apply the credit to complete the payment when making a new flight reservation.
Q. What is the United Airlines cancellation phone number in the USA?
If you wish to get more information on United Airlines flight cancellation, you can dial the United Airlines flight cancellation number at +1-860(364)8556 from your phone. Additionally, the service of this number is available 24/7, 265 days.
Q. What is the United Airlines cancellation number in Canada?
The United Airlines cancellation number in Canada is +1(860)364-8556. Further, travellers can call the airline 24/7, which is a toll-free number when you call from the United States or Canada.
Q. Can you tell me about United Airlines’ fully refundable tickets?
Refundable tickets are more expensive than non-refundable fares. But, passengers with refundable flight tickets can cancel their tickets for free. Then, once you cancel your flight reservation, the airline will provide you with a refund to your actual form of payment used by you for booking.
Q. Can you tell me about United Airlines’ free cancellation?
United Airlines permits free cancellation within a 24 hours window. Besides, your booking should be made at least seven days prior to the flight’s departure. In addition, it applies to all kinds of fares, including award tickets or non-refundable fares. On the other hand, tickets and group tickets booked with e-certificates are not included.
Q. What is the United Airlines trip cancellation policy?
United Airlines’ cancellation policy for trips permits travelers to cancel a trip in your travel plans and get a full refund when you cancel it less than a day after booking, and your flight departs after approx. Seven days.
Q. What is United Airlines’ cancellation credit policy?
United Airlines’ cancellation credit policy for canceled tickets totally depends on who cancels the tickets, you or the airline. Moreover, if the airline cancels your flight, you will acquire a refund in the form of credit, or you can ask for a full refund. However, if you rescind your non-refundable flight tickets, the cancellation fee will be $200 for domestic and $400 for international. Also, the charges will be deducted from your fare and the credited amount to your account as flight credit for future use.
Q. What is the United Airlines cancel flight phone number?
The United Airlines cancel flight phone number is +1-860-364-8556. In addition, this number is a toll-free number when you are calling from Canada or the United States and available 24/7 to assist its passengers.
Q. Where does a United Airlines cancel flight credit accrue?
United Airlines can provide you a credit for your canceled flight or service in the form of future flight credit, valid for 12 months, or electronic travel credit, valid for 24 months.
Q. Can I change a Basic economy ticket within 24 hours of purchasing it?
No, you are not allowed to alter a Basic economy flight ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period. Besides, you can only cancel your booking and rebook your flight. Since you will be canceling your flight within the 24-hour window, the airline will not charge you a cancellation fee. Furthermore, it means you will get a complete refund and rebook your flights as per your requirements.
See More United Airlines Related Articles:-
- How do I Speak to a Live Person at United Airlines?
- United Red Eye flights
- How to Select my Seats United Airlines?
- United Airlines Change Flight
- How to book Multi City Flights on United Airlines?
- United Airlines Flight Booking
- How to call United Airlines Travel Agent?
- United Airlines Low Fare Calendar
- What Happens if you miss your Flight United Airlines?
- United Future Flight Credit Not Working
Submit your review