For passengers willing to cancel their flight booking with Lufthansa, the airline provides a facility of Lufthansa Cancellation Policy. The policy set down some rules for the policy that every passenger has to follow.
Further, you will find all the necessary details to help passengers make their flight cancellations easily. Besides, customers can enjoy free cancellation if they purchase a fully-refundable ticket.
Lufthansa Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
Before a passenger cancels his flight, he should clearly understand the Lufthansa Cancellation policy as it would help figure out the entire situation.
Read Below the Important Highlights of Flight Cancellation with Lufthansa:-
- Passengers have the right to cancel their flight Lufthansa Flight Booking up until 24 hours before departure. But the longer you wait, the more chances to pay a cancellation fee to get a refund.
- If you want a free cancellation, you must cancel your flight within 24 hours of the booking time and at least seven days before the departure for any fare type.
- You are entitled to a full refund for the Lufthansa cancelled flights due to a delay of:
- Over 2 hours if the changes are more than one day before departure
- Over 5 hours for the troubles on the day of departure.
- If Lufthansa cancels your flights, you qualify for a complete refund as the ticket cancellation is totally involuntary.
- There will be no cancellation charges for refundable tickets, and you can obtain your booking amount back.
- You can cancel your flights even after the risk-free period for free if
- There is a death or serious illness
- Boarding denial
- In this situation, the Lufthansa policy on cancelled flights also lets the passengers rebook a flight to a future travel date.
In any scenario other than these, you must pay a cancellation fee per your ticket’s fare conditions.
Lufthansa Airlines 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
If you are unsure of your travel plans, Lufthansa has a 24-hours risk-free cancellation period that allows free ticket cancellations. Per the Lufthansa 24h cancellation policy, passengers can make flight cancellations within 24 hours of the booking for their flights scheduled at least after a week for free.
In short, There are two Major Requirements:
- It’s still within 24 hours of the booking.
- Your flight does not depart for at least a week.
This policy will apply to all flight tickets or fare types, including the non-refundable ones. You can also receive the booking amount to your original form of payment.
- You can easily cancel your Lufthansa Booking online, over the call, or by visiting the ticketing office of the airline.
- Only tickets canceled within the said time limits qualify for a full refund.
- Passengers must submit an online ticket refund request to process the complete cancellation service.
- For third-party bookings, you must connect with the related website.
- Non-refundable ticket cancellations incur a fee if canceled after 24 hours of the booking time.
Reasons For Lufthansa Airlines Flight Cancellation
Passengers can rescind their flight bookings due to numerous types of reasons. The Lufthansa flight cancellation policy may not consider the reason for your change except in critical circumstances.
However, It is important to know the possible reasons for flight cancellation. It will help you in preparing for unexpected circumstances. Some of the most frequent reasons for flight reservation cancellation are as follows:
- Flight cancellation of a holiday trip
- Due to personal inconvenience
- Being late or unable to reach the airport on time
- Work emergencies
- Death or any injury to the passenger
- Modification in destination
- Sudden important meetings
Therefore, passengers can rescind their flight tickets for any of these reasons. They can avoid cancellation by rebooking their flight reservation. Or else, when cancellation becomes necessary, you can be prepared by referring to the Lufthansa cancellation policy.
Lufthansa Airlines COVID (Latest) Update Cancellation Policy
As per the Covid-19 pandemic, the Lufthansa airline has considered the latest cancellation rules. These rules apply to flight booking cancellations due to the pandemic’s restrictions. Remember that this policy is followed for up to a limited duration.
Moreover, there might be some changes in policy with every date. Read further to know the latest update in the policy that applies to the Lufthansa canceled flight due to COVID:
- Passengers can request a full refund on the canceled tickets due to COVID-19. It is applicable for all types of tickets and fares.
- If a passenger is not using the flight tickets due to the COVID restrictions will be compensated. Moreover, passengers can use this reimbursement for a future booking with Lufthansa Airlines.
- If your itinerary does not include any cancellation, you want to cancel your flight reservation. Therefore the refund will depend on the original fare of your Lufthansa flight ticket.
How do I Cancel my Flight with Lufthansa?
If you want to make Lufthansa flight cancellations, you can follow the series of steps below.
Method 1: Cancel your Flight Tickets online
- You need to visit the Lufthansa Airlines official website and log in.
- After that, enter the “My Bookings” section and find your booking details.
- Provide this information before you tap on “Find My Bookings.”
- First and last name as per booking
- Reservation code
- Now, choose the flight and click on “Cancellation.”
- Proceed with confirmation and follow the onscreen prompts.
- Complete the cancellation process.
- You will receive a confirmation email from the airline after the successful cancellation of your flights.
For passengers who had their flight reserved with the “Secure your Fare” option and did not book a complete flight within 48 hours, there will be a 39 USD cancellation fee.
Method 2: Connect With Customer Service On Lufthansa
- First, dial customer service on Lufthansa Airlines and talk to a live person.
- Second, you have to provide all your booking details to the expert.
- Also, you have to share the reason for the flight cancellation.
- They will start the cancellation process for your concern.
- After that, you will receive a confirmation email.
Note:- The Frequent flyer program members can also use customer service to rescind their flight reservation per Lufthansa flight cancellation policy.
Lufthansa Airlines Flight Cancellation Fee
After the 24-hour risk-free cancellation time expires, Lufthansa Airlines will charge a 39 USD cancellation fee if you wish to get a refund, and your cancellation charges would be 50 USD for award tickets. On the other hand, for nonrefundable flights, your complete booking amount will be forfeited.
Want to Postpone your Lufthansa Flights?
Lufthansa will also let you rebook a flight without any cost to their alternate option with the same destination and same travel class as your previous one if you want. Besides, you can also request a Lufthansa change flight service. But note that if your travel date is not finalized yet, we suggest you simply cancel your flight according to the fare rules.
If the airline cancels your flight and your flight is under the Lufthansa cancelled flights today, you also have the option to ask for compensation.
Lufthansa Airlines Refund Policy
Per the Lufthansa refund policy, a passenger can qualify for a full amount refund in the following cases:
- The flight was cancelled as per the Lufthansa 24h cancellation seven days before the departure date.
- The airline canceled your flight without any replacement options, and you are just requesting compensation.
- Your flight got delayed for more than 2 to 5 hours, and your travel plans are affected greatly.
- You cancel your flight before departure, and you have a refundable booking.
- The flight cancellation was because of COVID-19.
- Lufthansa denied your boarding.
- You had to cancel the flight because of a sudden illness or a close family member’s death which you can prove.
You will get a Lufthansa Airlines refund within seven days if your booking was with a credit card, and for check or cash purchases, you have to wait for 20 days. But the refunds can take longer than that in case of extended requests.
How do I Request a Refund for my Lufthansa Flight?
If you would like to request a refund on your flight ticket, cancel your flight and request a refund using the online form. Below is the process to request a refund from Lufthansa.
Follow the given below steps for Lufthansa Refund Request:
- You need to visit the airline’s official website and log in.
- Now, locate the Menu and select the “Cancellation and refund” section.
- Here you can check the box in front of “I would like to refund my ticket…”
- Now, provide the general information about you and your unused flight/coupon.
- If you want a refund for each passenger, check the “I am authorised to process a refund on behalf of all passengers.”
- Choose one of the options as per your ticket was used or unused.
- Finally, submit the form.
Compensation For Lufthansa Airlines Cancelled or Delayed Flights
Sometimes, the airline cancels or delays your flight for multiple reasons. It may include bad weather, technical difficulties, or overbooked flight. In these instances, too, flight cancellation can be a consequence.
Moreover, passengers will get compensation if the Lufthansa Airline cancels their flight reservation. Similarly, compensation is also applicable for flight delays.
Compensation for Flight Cancellation:
- If the flight canceled by a passenger is confirmed, the airline will offer the option of rebooking.
- The airline will decide the compensation value based on the fare of your flight ticket.
Compensation for Flight Delays
- If your flight has been postponed for three or more hours, it will be considered a delayed flight. In these cases, passengers are eligible for compensation.
- If the flight is delayed and a total travel distance of less than 1500 km has been delayed, the airline will be responsible for compensating you for USD 280.
- Passengers will receive an amount of approx. USD 450 for flights ranging from 1500 km to 3500 km.
- If the flight distance is more than 4500 km and has been delayed for more than 4 hours, you will get USD 680.
Moreover, Lufthansa Airlines’ flight cancellation policy helps many passengers who seek immediate cancellation. Moreover, the policy offers free cancellation, refunds, and compensation.
Therefore, passengers can access these features at their suitability. Hence, you can avail of an easy cancellation process on Lufthansa hassle-free. To know more, you can call us directly by calling our customer helpline to speak with our live representative.
Frequently Asked Questions:-
Q- Does Lufthansa have a free cancellation policy?
If you make a flight booking through the Lufthansa online booking platform, you can rescind your booking without paying charges up to 24 hours after the reservation is made.
Q- How much does it cost to cancel a flight with Lufthansa?
Lufthansa’s cancellation fee is $ 100 to $ 500. Moreover, it is applicable if the cancellation request is made after 24 hours as a risk-free cancellation.
Q- Can I cancel my flight and get a full refund?
Passengers can cancel their reservation and get a full refund without paying cancellation charges.
Q- How do I cancel my Lufthansa flight?
When passengers check in online, they want to cancel their flight and change seats. They can do it through the link given your mobile boarding pass.
Q- Can I cancel my flight within 24 hours to Lufthansa?
Yes, customers can use the online refund option to cancel their flight booking or get a refund online 24 hours before departure.
Q- How much does it cost to change an international flight by Lufthansa?
The airline charges $ 200 as a cancellation fee for domestic flights and charges $ 750 for international flights.
Q- What happens when you cancel a nonrefundable airline ticket?
If a passenger cancels their nonrefundable flight ticket, the airline is not answerable for giving a refund in this condition.
Q- What happens if you cancel a flight?
Customers have to pay cancellation charges if they cancel a flight booking. Moreover, if the airline cancels your flight, you can ask for a full refund.
Q- How many days before we can cancel international flight tickets?
With Lufthansa Airlines, passengers can cancel their international flight 4 days before the departure.
Q- Can I cancel the flight ticket before 1 hour?
According to Lufthansa’s cancellation policy, passengers can rescind their flight booking without paying any charges within 24 hours of the flight reservation.
Q- Can I cancel my flight after booking?
Yes, you can cancel flight tickets within 24 hours of booking. If customers follow this rule, they do not need to pay any cancellation charges.
Q- How do I change my flight date on Lufthansa?
Customers can take assistance from the helpline of Lufthansa Airlines at 1 (800) 645-3880 or 1 860 590 8822 to change their flight date on Lufthansa Airlines.
Q- How much will it cost to reschedule a flight?
If you reschedule your flight booking, you must pay INR 2750 or Airfare charges plus fare difference.
Q- What is a fully refundable airline ticket?
As the name defines, the refundable tickets are fully refundable. When you cancel your refundable flight ticket, you may get a full refund without paying charges.
Q- What are the cancellation charges for confirmed flights?
The cancellation charges for confirmed flights would be INR 2500 or Airfare charges (whichever is lower). Similarly, the cancellation fee will depend upon the time of cancellation.