What are Lufthansa Airlines Cancellation and refund options for passengers?
Change in plans never comes with prior warning, and sometimes you must cancel scheduled flights. If you are a Lufthansa Airlines passenger looking up flight cancellations, look at the Lufthansa cancellation policy and also ask for a refund.
In this article, we will cover the details on How you can cancel your Lufthansa flights and ask for a refund, along with the policy and rules. Let’s get into it!
Your Lufthansa Flight cancellation and refund options or eligibility will depend on several factors like fare type, destination, route, flight timings, and the time of the request.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Policy
Before a passenger cancels his flight, he should clearly understand the Lufthansa Cancellation policy as it would help figure out the entire situation. Read below the important highlights of flight cancellation with Lufthansa:
- Passengers have the right to cancel their flight bookings up until 24 hours before departure. But the longer you wait, the more the chances to pay a cancellation fee to get a refund.
- If you want a free cancellation, you must cancel your flight within 24 hours of the booking time and at least seven days before the departure for any fare type.
- You are entitled to a full refund for the Lufthansa cancelled flights due to a delay of:
- over 2 hours if the changes are more than one day before departure
- Over 5 hours for the troubles on the day of departure.
- If Lufthansa cancels your flights, you qualify for a complete refund as the ticket cancellation is totally involuntary.
- There will be no cancellation charges for refundable tickets, and you can obtain your booking amount back.
- You can cancel your flights even after the risk-free period for free if
- There is a death or serious illness
- Boarding denial
In this situation, the Lufthansa policy on cancelled flights also lets the passengers rebook a flight to a future travel date.
- In any scenario other than these, you must pay a cancellation fee per your ticket’s fare conditions.
What is Lufthansa Airlines 24 hour Cancellation Policy?
If you are unsure of your travel plans, Lufthansa has a 24-hours risk-free cancellation period that allows free ticket cancellations. Per the Lufthansa 24h cancellation policy, passengers can make flight cancellations within 24 hours of the booking for their flights scheduled at least after a week for free.
In short, there are two major requirements:
- It’s still within 24 hours time of the booking.
- Your flight does not depart for at least a week.
This policy will apply to all flight tickets or fare types, including the non-refundable ones. You can also receive the booking amount to your original form of payment.
Additional requirements in Lufthansa Cancellation Policy,
- You can easily cancel your Lufthansa Booking online, over the call, or by visiting the ticketing office of the airline.
- Only tickets canceled within the said time limits qualify for a full refund.
- Passengers must submit an online ticket refund request to process the complete cancellation service.
- For third-party bookings, you must connect with the related website.
- Non-refundable ticket cancellations incur a fee if canceled after 24 hours of the booking time.
How do I cancel my flight with Lufthansa?
If you want to make Lufthansa flight cancellations, you can follow the series of steps below.
To cancel your flight tickets online,
- You need to visit the Lufthansa Airlines official website and log in.
- After that, enter the “My Bookings” section and find your booking details.
- Provide this information before you tap on “Find My Bookings.”
- First and last name as per booking
- Reservation code
- Now, choose the flight and click on “Cancellation.”
- Proceed with confirmation and follow the onscreen prompts.
- Complete the cancellation process.
You will receive a confirmation email from the airline after the successful cancelation of your flights.
For passengers who had their flight reserved with the “Secure your Fare” option and did not book a complete flight within 48 hours, there will be a 39USD cancellation fee.
Want to postpone your flights?
Lufthansa will also let you rebook a flight without any cost to their alternate option with the same destination and same travel class as your previous one if you want. Besides, you can also request a Lufthansa change flight service. But note that if your travel date is not finalized yet, we suggest you simply cancel your flight according to the fare rules.
If the airline cancels your flight and your flight is under the Lufthansa cancelled flights today, you also have the option to ask for compensation.
After the 24-hour risk-free cancellation time expires, Lufthansa Airlines will charge a 39 USD cancellation fee if you wish to get a refund, and your cancellation charges would be 50 USD for award tickets. On the other hand, for nonrefundable flights, your complete booking amount will be forfeited.
What is Lufthansa Airlines Refund Policy?
Per the Lufthansa refund policy, a passenger can qualify for a full amount refund in the following cases:
- The flight was canceled as per the Lufthansa 24h cancellation seven days before the departure date.
- The airline canceled your flight without any replacement options, and you are just requesting compensation.
- Your flight got delayed for more than 2 to 5 hours, and your travel plans are affected greatly.
- You cancel your flight before departure, and you have a refundable booking.
- The flight cancellation was because of COVID-19.
- Lufthansa denied your boarding.
- You had to cancel the flight because of a sudden illness or a close family member’s death which you can prove.
You will get a Lufthansa Airlines refund within seven days if your booking was with a credit card, and for check or cash purchases, you have to wait for 20 days. But the refunds can take longer than that in case of extended requests.
How do I request a refund for my Lufthansa flight?
If you would like to request a refund on your flight ticket, cancel your flight and request a refund using the online form. Below is the process to request a refund from Lufthansa.
To make a Lufthansa refund request online,
- You need to visit the airline’s official website and log in.
- Now, locate the Menu and select the “Cancellation and refund” section.
- Here you can check the box in front of “I would like to refund my ticket…”
- Now, provide the general information about you and your unused flight/coupon.
- If you want refund for each passenger, check the “I am authorized to process a refund on behalf of all passengers.”
- Choose one of the options as per your ticket was used or unused.
- Finally, submit the form.
The airline will review the details and respond to you as per the fare conditions and type of booking. You can finalize the refund once the airline sends you a confirmation.
To cancel your Lufthansa airlines flight and ask for a refund, you can call Lufthansa Customer service and make a request over the phone.