Sending your child alone by air can be risky for any parent. With the United Airlines unaccompanied minor program, it is now easy and stress-free to let your child travel alone to a desired destination. The process for the booking and the documentation are totally different for minor reservations. You can ensure that the complete journey of your children will be smooth and safe by understanding the rules for the unaccompanied minors policy.
You will get the entire information on the unaccompanied minor policy of the airline which includes the policy/ process of booking/ fees/ and more. Keep reading and move to the next information.
Table of Contents
- 1 Highlights of United Airlines Minor Rules
- 1.1 How Much does United Airlines Charge for Unaccompanied Minors?
- 1.2 How to United Airlines Minor Policy Works?
- 1.3 How to Book the United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service?
- 1.4 Required Documents to Book United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service
- 1.5 Checklist for The Unaccompanied Minor Before Traveling Alone
- 1.6 Service Provided to Unaccompanied Minors United Airlines
- 1.7 Does United Airlines allow Unaccompanied minors?
Highlights of United Airlines Minor Rules
- The unaccompanied minors service is required for kids 5-14 and optional for those 15-17 who are traveling alone.
- United Airlines unaccompanied minor service is for childrens aged 5-14 years old ftraveling solely or with someone whose age is 18 years.
- Similarly, The service is necessary for children ages 5-15 traveling without an adult. The children aged 16 and older are not needed to travel as unaccompanied minors.
- The children whose ages are 15-17 years old have the option of buying the minor ticket as the UNMR service is optional for them.
- Additionally, the minors can travel alone only on United Airlines or the Express flights.
However, this service is not provided for the codeshare or the interline flight partners.
- In addition to this, you can easily book this service by filling out unaccompanied minors form United Airlines or by connecting with customer service.
- United Airlines charges $150 each way for an Unaccompanied Minor traveling to any destination for two children.
- This fee includes the cost of seats, priority boarding, and complimentary food.
How Much does United Airlines Charge for Unaccompanied Minors?
United Airlines imposed the charges for the minor booking, which is $150 each way to any destination. The airline allows you to pay the fee while making a booking/ at the airport/ at the check-in counter/ or before the scheduled departure.
Besides, the charges include the extra cost provided by the flight attendants and the airport staff. The United Airlines unaccompanied minor fee $150 and it will add to the cost of your ticket for your child. Further, you can take an idea with the help of the below chart.
|No. Of Childrems
|One-Way Service Fee
|Round Trip Service Fee
How to United Airlines Minor Policy Works?
Navigate to the check-in counter with your child and show your required documents such as the passport and others when you reach the airport. You must provide the contact details of the person who will meet your child at the destination airport. Then, your child needs to be present with an identification tag, which will be provided by the airline. Your child must be important for the identification tag.
It may happen that there are two situations that can arise after you complete your check-in based on the airport amenities. First, you will acquire a security pass, and you can bring your child to the boarding gate. You have to complete the security check before that.
Second, the airline representative will bring your child and will assist him/her in completing all the procedures when the airline denies you due to security pass issues. Similarly, he/ she will help your child to reach the boarding gate.
Your child must be eligible for the pre-boarding and will be shown to the aircrew prior to providing his/her seat on the plane under the United Airlines Rules for Unaccompanied Minors. They will provide special care to your child. So, you can be stress-free as the airline agents will take responsibility for the complete care of your child.
The airline’s crew staff members will take your child outside the gate to his/her airport person after reaching the destination airport. Additionally, the airport staff will assist the child and take care of all the further procedures, including baggage pickup and others.
Then, they will bring your child to the airport gate, where the designated person will wait for the child to pick up. The airline person will confirm the identity of the person from the provided data and hand the child to the person once all the information is correct.
How to Book the United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service?
Unaccompanied minor flights are provided by United Airlines to minors age between 5 to 14 traveling solely and are not accompanied. Your child 15 to 17 years of age can travel alone on United Airlines unaccompanied minor international flights.
Parents can purchase the UNMR tickets at the United Airlines official website or by communicating with customer service. Ensure to choose the right age group for your child to avoid any hussle.
You must share the complete information required by the airline at the time of reservation for the person who will drop off and pick up your child at the airport. Besides, you can modify these details before the departure.
United Airlines will automatically assign the seat to your child after 72 hours of the flight booking. Additionally, the airline completely takes care of the needs and requirements of your child.
Note: United’s unaccompanied minors policy does not take into account well-traveled teens who can handle flying alone nonstop. $150 one-way is an outrageous fee.
Required Documents to Book United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service
The children who are aged 5-14 Traveling alone do not need to show their identification documents at the time of check-in. However, the airline asks to keep some form of identification with the child during the child. Besides, the United Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Age 15-17 years old must have the following documents for the minors:
- Driver’sDriver’s license
- School ID
- Credit Card
- Library card
- Employee ID
- Social security card
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of auto insurance under the name of the minor.
Checklist for The Unaccompanied Minor Before Traveling Alone
We suggest a useful checklist for your child who is flying alone for his/her safety and security, even when your child traveled alone prior.
- Prepare the complete notes, including the contact numbers for your child.
- Similarly, make your child familiar with the experience of flying alone.
- It may include completing the United Airlines check-in, security checking, and locating the boarding pass to board the flight.
- Tell your child to wait for the specified airline person to communicate with them off the flight when they reach who will assist or guide him/her.
- Moreover, make sure that all the electronic devices are fully charged before leaving the airport when your child keeps any electronic item with them during travel.
- You need to pack some favorite games and books for your child. So, your child engages during their journey.
- You must fill out the unaccompanied minor form United Airlines in case of international travel.
Service Provided to Unaccompanied Minors United Airlines
Parents or guardians do not need to stress about the safety of their child. The airline ensures to make the journey smooth and pleasurable for your child by providing United Airlines representatives, special airport staff, and flight attendants. Similarly, the airline personnel will do everything that can make your child’s journey comfortable. The following services are provided to the unaccompanied minors.
- United Airlines provides a tab to your child for the entire journey to engage him/her while traveling.
- The airline also offers free snacks to your child when you are traveling for a long duration.
- In addition to this, the airline ensures that your child must have an entertainment source.
- The airline also provides a pre-loaded kid’s show or videos, as the entertainment options vary from flight to flight.
Some Useful Tips You Must Learn
Here are some tips that you must follow when you are going to send your child alone with United Airlines as an unaccompanied minor.
- You must attach the ID tag, which mentions your contact details, to the carry bag of your child.
- Keep some toys or books in your child’s bag for his/her entertainment over the trip.
- Do some items and pack them for your child, as the airline only offers a single meal.
- Ensure that you do not give a filled water bottle to your child. Besides, you can give an empty bottle, and the agents will fill it once the security checking is complete.
Does United Airlines allow Unaccompanied minors?
Of Course. United Airlines unaccompanied minors are allowed to fly alone without their parents/ guardians to the desired destination. Similarly, minor flights are provided by United Airlines to children aged 5 to 14 Traveling alone while they are not accompanied by any family member. However, you must read the guidelines for the UNMR policy to make your child’s journey pleasurable and smooth.
The above information will surely be helpful for you in booking your child with United Airlines. It is advisable to know the specific needs & requirements of your child before booking their flight ticket. The customer service representative can assist you in solving your queries regarding your queries or doubts.
You can help your minor to avoid any hassle for a safe and comfortable journey when you have complete knowledge of the United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy, required documents, and others.